testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, November 21, 2016

Week 22 - Graduated Greenie-hood! and Loi Krathong Festival

Attention, attention ladies and gentleman...you are now hearing from a REAL missionary! (AKA-- I am no longer in training!) I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but I think I will feel like that my entire mission haha. Life is also AMAZING because Sister Bilavanh and I are companions for 1 more transfer--which includes Christmas together! We were so excited!!!! 

INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT--One of a kind
So Sister Bilavanh and I are both staying in Bang Na for 1 more transfer, however, Elder Brown got transferred. It was such a blessing to have another greenie with me in this area. We were able to both be completely confused together and sympathize so it's weird to not have him here. BUT we got a new elder--Elder Tun....WHO IS FROM MYANMAR! That means in our district we have the following:
-Elder Tun (ONLY elder from Myanmar in the entire mission)
-Sister Bilavanh (ONLY sister from Laos in the entire mission)
-2 Americans
WE HAVE THE COOLEST DISTRICT. I am seriously so excited. Elder Tun's testimony is rock solid. They don't have a Book of Mormon in Burmese yet so all of the members there live by FAITH. He also had to learn Thai through English..both second languages for him. Basically he is a champion. 

BANG NA
We currently have a good solid number of investigators, but most of them can only meet once a week and lots of them can't commit to anything. We are filling our days with contacting and teaching but we really want to see the work pick up!

Brother Ni
We met him about a week ago, contacting at night. We actually had passed him on the street. He was sitting on the curb smoking, and I turned around and just offered him a pass along card. Turns out he was interested! We have taught him twice. The first time we gave him the Book of Mormon. Our second lesson he had read to 2 Nephi 28! (over 100 pages!) Honestly a miracle put in our path! Hopefully we can see some progress with him!

"Thank you for doing this."
Last night we had a little extra time before Sunday dinner so we were trying to contact, but there was no one on the streets! We stood around (not wanting to go super far from our apartment because we only had 20 minutes) and I was feeling kind of worthless since we weren't getting anything done. Then we started talking to someone--and he spoke English! He was from Pakistan and has been to our church before. We talked with him. He wasn't interested, but we had a good time just talking. At the end of the conversation he said something that really made my day, "Thank you for doing this. Going around, spreading a good message. I really admire all of you doing this, you make a difference." Lately not many people have been open to our message, and hearing a stranger tell me that I was making a difference really was a blessing. God knows when we need a boost, and He will always send help!

CHALLENGE
My challenge this week has to do with this story. I want to challenge all of you to go out of your way to THANK someone for something that they do/have done. I do missionary work every day but getting a small 'thank you' from a stranger made such an impact on my day. So--think about who you think could use a 'thank you' and go and be their 'boost'! (Also I don't think this was a coincidence that this experience happened the week of Thanksgiving!)

Thank you all so much for the love and support! Eat extra rolls and turkey for me--but the food here makes up for 1 missed meal!

Much much love,
Sister Hammon

OUR INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT
1 more transfer with Sister Bilavanh!

This is my name in Burmese! (Thank you Elder Tun)

We had a SUPER fun ward activity at this park on Saturday!  SO PRETTY!

A member had us start a fire in her yard for service...if you think Thailand is hot just throw a bonfire in there.  You will quickly realize it could be MUCH hotter.
She also gave us giant rice hats...I felt like a real Khon Thai :')

 Ended the day with a rooftop soccer match...also I was told not to smile, hence the face.

This is a bus of monks....Thailand


LOI KRATHONG
Loi Krathong is a festival celebrated annually throughout southwestern Tai cultures.  The name could be translated as "to float a basket," and comes from the tradition of making krathong or buoyant, decorated baskets, which are then floated on a river. 

 It's our little mini candle boat thing! So pretty!

 They sold these EVERYWHERE the night of the festival.

This is the closest thing to the Fourth of July in Thailand...you put candles on the water to give thanks to the water/river.  Yeah, I don't really understand it but it was so pretty! Also kind of sad because this year there were hardly any boats on the water due to the passing of the King.

Hahaha this picture still makes me laugh...I am behind the man who wouldn't stop walking in front of us while we were trying to take the picture.


As my final day of training I recorded myself reciting Doctrine and Covenants 4 in Thai!  Yayyy!

Here is a link to the video:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vnuxkqqovaf5od/MVI_6683.MOV?dl=0


No comments:

Post a Comment