testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, October 23, 2017

Week 70 - Back in BANGKOK! So. Many. People.

I forgot how crazy life in the city is. Literally hundreds of people pass you every second of every day and they all live all around Bangkok and not everyone is from the same small town.

DON MUANG
So if I were to compare it, Roiet was like a small town in Idaho with not much going on....Asoke (where the office is/where the temple will be) is the downtown New York City....DON MUANG (where I am, northern Bangkok) is the Washington DC. It's a little fancier than Asoke, but still crazy busy and full of a bunch of government workers. 
The ward here is on FIRE. The wards in Bangkok are a lot more structured because they have been around for longer, so in our ward we have the Stake President, a bunch of some of the first members in Thailand AND a member of the Area Seventy. I am SO excited to be able to serve here! We also meet in the biggest chapel in Thailand. DON MUANG IS SO CRAZY!

Annnnyway it took a few days but I am loving it. The initial move was shocking. I have been in the countryside of Esan for the past 10 months, loving every second of it. A move to one of the busiest areas in Bangkok was a big adjustment. I was walking around a huge city getting rejected left and right (people in Bangkok are a lot more fast-paced and harsh compared to the Esan) and my thoughts all day were, "Sister Hammon you are not in the Esan anymore" I was struggling and very countryside homesick...but that night we got back to do studies and I read something that I am convinced was written for me. (Moroni 9:6)
"And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently"
That is it. It doesn't matter that the Bangkok people won't stop and talk to you like the Esan people would...but all that matters is that I TALK TO EVERYONE and labor diligently for these incredible people. 

FIRST DAY MIRACLES
So whitewashing is crazy considering you don't even know where your apartment is, let alone where the church is BUT we survived! Our first miracle happened our first day. We had just found our apartment and getting out of the taxi when we got a call from an unknown number. I was trying to get all the stuff out while talking to this random person on the phone. She called explaining she was sorry she didn't meet us yesterday. I laughed and told her how okay it was (considering it wasn't us she canceled on) but she told us that she would come on Sunday! Annnnd she came!! Her name is June and she is seriously the greatest! Yay for first day miracles!

Still kind of crazy considering neither of us know almost anything about the area, but there is no question that God's hand has been in every action we have made these past few days. I am loving being in such a crazy busy place...BANGKOK. Love you all, keep up the prayers for Northern Bangkok, it is currently exploding and I am so blessed to be apart of it! Also read the Book of Mormon. It is honestly the most incredible book. I finished it again this week and WOW. It is SO TRUE. Love you all and have a grand week! :)

รักมากมากเลย
Sister Hammon

Bye Roiet! 😔

Bangkok!
[The population of Bangkok is 8.281 million people]

Back to Bangkok! Food off the streets and
 running out of inviting cards every 2 seconds.

Likin’ the views from our amazing apartment!

Our massive church

My cute new companion! Sister McDonnell!







No comments:

Post a Comment