testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, January 30, 2017

Week 32 - The Promise of Miracles

CRAZY THINGS THAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK--
1) The church announced a new schedule for missionaries--EVERYTHING CHANGED!
2) The church has told us to stop counting our lessons with investigators...EVERYTHING CHANGED
3) I ate Somdam (traditional Thai dish) with FIVE, I repeat, FIVE peppers! (for those of you that knew me before the mission, this is like a 'parting of the Red Seas' moment for me)
4) We finally moved out of our hotel! (Honestly one of the most stressful events of my mission so far, which is saying something)

THE PROMISE OF MIRACLES--แพน (Pan)
A few weeks ago we were visiting a new member, trying to teach his mom, when she gave us a referral! After visiting the said referral, SHE gave us a referral, which is how we met the adorable Pan. Pan is 18 and she is so interested in religion. When we taught the Restoration she was so curious, and when we gave her a few verses to read from the Book of Mormon she couldn't stop smiling, it honestly touched my heart. Since then we have had a few lessons and she continues to show interest, and she actually understands what we teach! (Usually with Buddhists it takes at least 1-3 repetitions before they actually can understand the concept) Pan has been prepared long before we met her.

Anyway, we were reading with her from 2 Nephi 31 about the Doctrine of Christ when we challenged her (for the second time) to follow the example of Jesus Christ and get baptized. She told us that she wanted to, and she knew it was so important, but her only fear was that she wouldn't be able to go to church every week! This is a miracle because a) she understands how important/sacred baptism is and b) we haven't even taught the commandments yet, but she knows she needs to go to church every week! Usually those are some of the hardest things to explain to Khon Thais! She explained how her college requires testing on Sundays (super common in Thailand) and that she couldn't just not go or she would fail. As she was talking I felt the most distinct impression to give her a promise...I told her that if she would pray, and pray everyday, asking God what to do/to help solve this issue, that something would happen, a solution would be found and she would be able to get baptized. She really understands the concept of faith and I told her that God is a God of miracles, we just need to have faith the miracles would come. 

This was such an incredible experience for me. I know that if she continues to pray (and we do too as a companionship) there will be an answer to this problem, hearts will be softened, and Pan will get baptized. I know that God works through missionaries, and I couldn't feel more blessed to be an instrument in His hands on a daily basis. What a miracle this experience was/will be when she finally enters the waters of baptism!

WE ARE EVERYTHING TO HIM
This week I was overwhelmed with the love and reassurance that God sent to me. I was reminded of this love with a quote,
"Compared to God man is nothing; yet we are everything to God" (Uchtdorf)

I know that I am just a girl from Utah, trying my best to work miracles for a people that I have never met and in a language that I don't fully understand. But I also know that I am a daughter of God that loves me, that knows my name, my fears and my desires. I know that through the Atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we all have the opportunity to live with our families for eternity, and that is something I will never tire of testifying of. Truly everything in this Gospel is perfect, and I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven that is patient enough to work with imperfect people like myself. 

My challenge for you today is to recognize your inadequacies and rely on the Lord to change, because that is the only way it can be done!

ร้ก มาก มาก
Sister Hammon

Bishop's family plus the missionaries!

We got matching skirts so a picture was required.

This may be one of our first selfies together...that's pretty impressive.  
It took almost 5 weeks.

Sorry for all the puppy pictures, but this one is just too cute.


Because only in Thailand could you be riding your bike on the highway 
only to come across a baby elephant.

Watching the Worldwide Devotional--
also my 5 prick (pepper) Somdam is on the table!

Haha Our air conditioners have the random little fluffy things that go everywhere throughout the chapel so we found these giant bamboo brooms.  Weekly cleaning is required.

This less active family we've been working with came to all 3 hours of church
 for the first time in MONTHS yesterday!!

Sunset on the way to the Bishop's house!

Haha Moving out--we were all exhausted.

Moving as a missionary may be one of the worst experiences.  I do not suggest it.


No comments:

Post a Comment