testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, February 27, 2017

Week 36 - Sister Hammon and Her Broken Bike

WEATHER
     So for the past 4-ish months we have been in Thailand's "cold season" which basically just means it is a comfortable temperature but a little on the hot side. This past week we started to enter into Thailand's "hot season." Let's just say it will be an exciting few months!!! (Bike riding in 37 degrees C/100 degrees F is quite the adventure) So I will keep you updated on my survival.

BROKEN BIKE
     Haha so were were racing to teach Sister Pan before English Class on Tuesday and I switched gears too fast--well actually I don't really know what I did, but all of a sudden my back tire locked. LOCKED. I started laughing so hard as we looked at what happened (see picture) The gear lock on my bike had completely twisted up and reverted in on itself. Hahaha only I could break a bike that bad. Luckily we were close to a member's house so we went there with the members that were planning on helping us teach Pan and we all gathered around my poor bike trying to fix it. Oh man, everyone said, "how did you do this??" Hahaha it was so funny! In the end after being stranded for about 2 hours I borrowed one of our Bishop's bikes because mine needs to get a 1000 baht fix... go me! Anyway I promise there is a reason I am telling you this story! *this is the moment that you all realize that a gospel analogy is coming*

      So again, since I am a missionary, I have a gospel view on everything in life. As Sister Dem and I were working on the bike our hands became covered in grease. They stayed like that for a solid hour or two while we kept trying to fix it. It was so annoying to me because I couldn't really touch anything besides my bike or it would become stained. FINALLY we got some water and started scrubbing, but sadly it did nothing. Absolutely nothing, except spread the grease around on our hands. I was so shocked, I thought the water would help for sure. Right after that, the member offered us some soap so we could get it off. It still took some scrubbing, but our hands were finally made clean.
     Just like the thick layer of grease, the sins in our life can be annoying and seem to stain everything. Sometimes we think we can just live with it, but in reality we cannot move on in life until we take care of it. We will try to use 'water' to get off, but in the end the only way we can be clean again is through soap--or the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It still takes work and it isn't immediate, but it can be done. This little insight made me so grateful for the sacrifice of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and for the ability that we all have to be freed from the filth of sin. Especially being here in Thailand, everyone always says that Buddhism is enough for them. But what they don't understand is that there is no other way, only through Jesus Christ can they achieve true happiness
     Challenge: use the Atonement to its fullest this week and stay away from the grease in life!

THE WORK IN SISAKET
    I truly love this place with my entire heart. Recently the elders have been witnessing SO MANY MIRACLES and Sister Dem and I are just trying to keep up! Haha we can't figure out what we need to change because we are trying our hardest, but just aren't seeing the results we should be. Thankfully, we both understand that all we can do is our best and the rest is up to the Lord! Honestly so grateful for a companion like her. We are able to have so much fun together even when our 7th back up plan falls through (true story haha) Pray for the work in Sisaket please!

ร้ก มาก มาก
Sister Hammon

PS. MIRACLES ARE HAPPENING!!! After 22 weeks, the government allowed the Saints in Laos to partake of the sacrament!!!! President just sent an email to let us all know--truly the work is hastening! 

RED BIKE: that is correct, the lock thing is at the bottom
MY ORANGE BIKE: the lock thing is flipped completely around, almost to the top!

Hahaha I honestly don’t know how I did it.

How many people does it take to fix Sister Hammon’s bike?

Hahaha after our 7th back up plan failed 
we got banana chocolate shakes for our dinner hour—best decision ever.

This is a huge joke—so a member gave me this pink floral skirt 
and wanted me to wear it that day (while I had a floral shirt on already) 
so Sister Den decided the best thing to do was go full floral.  
Don’t know why but we were both rolling on our beds laughing. haha 
Oh I love her.

So I found Boise State…in Sisaket, Thailand!  Haha  Oh the things you find…

Inviting at this GORGEOUS park in Roiet 
(I need to serve in this area because it is AMAZING)

My companion for a day—Sister Tag from Bangkok!

I wanted to see this cute little pavilion (is that what it is called in English? I can’t remember) Anyway while we were there we contacted this woman who was so interested and we were able to reach her bout 20 minutes! Miracles in Roiet!

Random giant golden statue thing…welcome to Thailand

Whenever kids see me that all scream “hello” at the top of their lungs in their cute Thai accent…ah it is the most adorable thing in the world

So I have a mini dictionary I carry around with me everywhere, then Elder Gundry saw it and said, “Sister Hammon, I think you need to raise your vision” and he pulled out this GIANT dictionary he has carried around for over a year. That is dedication my friends.

8026 The stack of books is just for my language study…
haha it keeps on growing even after the MTC

No comments:

Post a Comment