testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, August 7, 2017

Week 59 - Roiet Rice Fields and Water Buffalo

Hello hellooooo from 101 (Roiet is Thai for 101)

Good news! The flooding is down! 
Bad news: I'm not as smart as I think I am and flooded our apartment (there was a mishap with our washing machine) 
Haha but our week was so great so it's all good!

Random Highlights of the Week:
- Taking a PLANE to MLC (Mission Leader Conference)
- Riding a water buffalo
- PLANTING RICE (seriously got so many missionary analogies from it, and it was basically the best day ever, plus we served our investigator so everyone's a winner)
- Getting SWISS CHOCOLATE from the cutest Thai grandmas (they said we reminded them of their grandkids who they haven't seen in 2 years so they just started treating us like family and giving us all this delicious candy that is super expensive...felt like a real trip to grandma's house :)
- Singing hymns for some elderly less active members with some young women (the spirit was tangible!) 

BUT my most favorite highlight was with our investigator Brother Boonsong (บุณส่ง):
He has been an investigator for about 3 weeks, he is a referral from one of our recent converts, and last Sunday we challenged him to quit smoking (normal smokes 15 cigarettes a day)
We went to teach him at his house the following Friday. I was on a switch off with a greenie so it was definitely a throw back to training for sure. Anyway we found out that in that week he was still smoking 13 cigarettes a day (better but not great) So I felt prompted that we should read in 1 Nephi 17 about Nephi building the ship and compare that to his situation.. it. was. incredible.
As we read the story and started comparing it to his situation his countenance completely changed..
"So Nephi built a ship in this story, do you think he had ever built a ship before?"
"No?"
"You're right, but because he relied on God he did it! Even when his brothers laughed at him. Brother have you ever quit smoking before?"
*laughs* "No"
"So if God loves Nephi just as much as you, which He does, don't you think He would help you just like he helped Nephi?"
"I think so..yeah! He will...so if I pray a lot, God will help me quit smoking! Even if my friends don't think I can!"
AHH one of my very favorite parts of being in a mission where the church is so new is helping members/investigators apply the scriptures in their life for the very first time. His member friend was there too and he was so into the scriptures! "They've never made sense to me before, but now I know, if God will help Nephi he will help me!" So so so cute.
Also just an update: as of Sunday Brother Boonsong is down to FIVE cigarettes a day! MIRACLES HAPPEN we just need to rely on God!

I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon. I know it is the word of God and I know that if we APPLY its principles in our life, our life will never be the same again. God lives and loves us so very much. (challenge: apply the Book of Mormon, I promise it's the best book in the world)

Love you muchly sorry my english is slacking but I hope you have an incredible week full of miracles and swiss chocolate!

Much much love,
Sister Hammon

Companionship goals


Here’s a dramatic picture of Elder Tuttle on a water buffalo

Just our ward mission leader on top of a water buffalo

RICEFIELDS

 The field is wet, already to plant

I have officially become Asian




Shout out to AIR TRAVEL (1 hour versus 9 hours on bus)
Mission Leader Conference

Yay for tuk tuk drivers that don’t know how to use a camera haha 
(The greenie I switched off with in the lesson is on my left)

Swiss chocolate from the grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment