testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Week 63 - Broken Commandments and Diamond Lessons

The problem with mid-week p-days is that so much happens I don't know what to write about so my emails are super random but I'll give it a shot! 

First of all, Sister Christensen is leaving tomorrow! She is heading to Bangkok and I am getting an Australian companion! Woohoo, so that'll be a blast. I also get to stay in the Esan! I seriously should be breaking some kind of record. I haven't served in Bangkok for almost a year! I'm way excited for the upcoming transfer. They are also adding 2 more elders in our area! (Our mission has been short 45 missionaries for months now, but a big group of greenies is coming in so we are all so excited!)

BROKEN COMMANDMENT
So on switch off's the other day we went to eat at a less active member's restaurant. After the meal we sat and talked with her and helped wash dishes to serve her. We left and it was pretty late but we went and taught an investigator too, when half way through the lesson I realized something. We hadn't paid for dinner! SO that was an adventure. We ended the lesson, biked 5 kilos to the restaurant, found out it was closed, kind of slightly broke in and left money and a note, then raced back to beat the clock before 9. So yes. That is the story of when I broke the commandments on my mission, but it was hilarious and we had a good time. The member also hasn't answered any of our calls since that day so let's pray she doesn't hate us! haha!

DIAMOND LESSONS
So yesterday we were able to meet with 2 adorable investigators Hong (หงส์) and Juli (จุลี) (who don't know each other) but they came at the same time so we taught them the Restoration together. I don't know what it was, but the spirit was SO incredibly strong. We compared the Priesthood power with a light and the person holding the light being the prophet. We explained that the time after Christ's death the light slowly disappeared from the earth causing everyone to walk in darkness -- until one boy said a prayer that changed everything. When we explained about Joseph Smith one of the girls stopped and said, "well is there a prophet today or is the light gone again?" I have never had anyone think that far ahead or understand the concept so well! Teaching Buddhist people about prophets is difficult because they don't really have anything that compares to prophets in their religion and have never heard of the term. But it was the most incredible experience to be able to tell her that YES there is a prophet today and YES there is still a light, a light that he holds to guide us all in this world today. I am oh so grateful for President Thomas S. Monson. Being able to testify of him and his authority is something I will never tire of.

Recently as I have been doing the normal things for missionary work I have taken a step back and thought, 'wow, this is honestly remarkable.' For just about everything. The fact that I can speak this crazy language, connect with people who know nothing about Christianity, read a book filled with noodle (AKA Thai script), meet people and help them develop faith in Christ, go contacting all day and love it, etc...I love being a missionary. And my thoughts were turned to this quote from President Uchtdorf:

It seems to be human nature: as we become more familiar with something, even something miraculous and awe-inspiring, we lose our sense of awe and treat it as commonplace. We tread a path covered with diamonds, but we can scarcely distinguish them from ordinary pebbles.

For the last little while I think this has described me perfectly. I am living an awe-inspiring life, but I don't treat it that way. So! My challenge for you (and me) is to look at the life you live and discover the awe! Don't become dis-enchanted by miracles and see the diamonds placed all around you! 

I love being a missionary. I love my Savior. I am so grateful for modern day prophets and for Joseph Smith for restoring this precious light to the earth once more. 

รักมากมาก
ซิสเตอร์ แฮมมอน

Making grilled cheese with fire to help a less active member!
Switch offs!

Rectifying our stolen dinner

This is Elder Wannasri and here’s a picture to show you how happy he is all the time

We found the biggest snail I have ever seen in my life so we named him Herman. The end.

Herman

So for p-day last week we drove up to a market by Laos! It is divided by this river so we both thought we should take a swim to see what the other side is like!

A beautiful sunset in Thailand

No comments:

Post a Comment