testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 41- A Book of Mormon for นิม

Time is starting to scare me.There is never a slow moment! Especially these next few weeks because it is Thailand's BIGGEST holiday--SONGKRAN! Basically it's a national water fight for 3 days. Our p-day next week is moved to the 14th--so mom don't freak out when you don't get an email from me next Monday. 

Anyway I don't have tons of time today so I'm just going to share a brief story that made my heart full of gratitude for direction from the Holy Ghost.

A BOOK OF MORMON FOR NIM (นิม)
     So flash back to last Monday. After our FHE at a member's house we decided to get in a few minutes of inviting by the local hospital. We hadn't had much luck but right before we were going to leave we met a woman who was willing to talk to us. She told us she wanted to study more about our religion so I told her that we would meet her the next day and deliver a Book of Mormon so she could study it herself. She told us to come at 8:30 (which is WAY late for the Thai people) but we told her we would be there!
     The next day was Tuesday, the day we teach English from 6:30-8. Usually we stay after and talk with the students trying to find new investigators, but this time we had to run out to make our 'appointment' with this woman. In my mind I kind of knew she wouldn't be there, but I knew we should go to show our faith, so we headed out. 
     When we got there we saw absolutely no sign of her or her friend, so we decided to contact a few minutes and wait for her. Right when we pulled up I saw this cute girl waiting on her motorcycle and I knew we should talk to her. I got off my bike and walked straight up to her asking her what she was doing. She told us she was just waiting for her boyfriend to get off work...and that she would be waiting for another 2 hours. Right when she said that I knew that the Book of Mormon we brought was for her. I explained a little about it and handed it over, she seemed so shocked but could not stop smiling. 
     We tried to meet with her again, but she lives super far away and doesn't have the time/isn't super interested, but I know that that night God sent us to deliver that Book of Mormon to Nim. 

Isn't that how life works sometimes? We have this plan that we think God approves of, but as we go to live out the plan things change? Sometimes it's rough and we wonder why our plan isn't what God wants, but I testify that EVERYTHING in our life is designed by God for our eternal happiness. How incredible is that?! No matter what happens in life, no matter how often things don't work out according to plan (giving the Book of Mormon to the original woman) we can be comforted to know that the changes that happen will make us that much happier in this life and in the eternities to come. Truly God is oh so good. --- "Everything [God] does—every blessing He gives and every blessing He, for time, withholds—is for our eternal happiness." (Uchtdorf) 

Love this work, love my Savior Jesus Christ and CANNOT WAIT for conference this weekend. Keep being amazing, and be extremely jealous that I get to have a giant water fight like a 5 year old. I'm pretty pumped. 

Much much love,
Sister Hammon


I was at a member’s house and they asked me if I could play the original Thai flute 
so I tried—and can totally do it! haha  
It’s different from a western flute but I figured out the hymns pretty easily.

The district with 2 recent converts - แบงม & กิกส์  


This is a cashew fruit! 
You take the top part off and throw it in some machine to deshell it...
no wonder they are so expensive. This is just 1 single nut!

All food prep is done in the floor here...
I am now used to it but I think it is not normal in America haha

So this is a funny story--in Thailand soccer is a sport that is played by men and men only. Some girls play it but it is SUPER rare. Anyway so at sports night we decided to play a game and all the years I spent on the soccer field when I was younger paid off because I was killing it! It was HILARIOUS because all the boys couldn't understand why a girl was beating them in a guy's sport..haha anyway so there is that story. 
(ignore all of our sweaty faces)

We decided to adopt this puppy (just kidding cause we're obedient)

Ancient cities are fun yayyy

So I’m tall in Thailand.  It’s the best.

I whacked this gong as hard as I could and it was basically the best thing ever

This looks like it should be in Russia so I took a picture (you're welcome Grant)


Why Thai is so fun to learn! (yay for tones)

No comments:

Post a Comment