testifying in Thailand

testifying in Thailand

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Week 44 - And a Family was Baptized

"I shall not attempt to paint to you the feelings of this heart, nor the majestic beauty and glory which surrounded us on this occasion..." (Oliver Cowdery) but this last week brought me more gratitude for being a missionary than anything else and I cannot wait to explain a least a part of what I felt/what happened...On Sunday Sister Fone and her son Frame were baptized after a 2 year journey to find the church and I'm going to explain how they got there!

THE STORY OF THE FAMILY
Flash back to January, I had just moved into Sisaket and our investigator pool was small, so following the example of my previous companion (Sister Bilavanh--goodness I love her) I started calling every single phone number in our phone. One number was Fone's...she answered but explained she really didn't have any time, and that was that. 

Flash forward to February, I started calling numbers again and called Fone once more...this time she agreed to meet! With Sister Dem (at that time we had only been companions a week) we went and met with her and found out that she had learned with the missionaries over 2 years ago with her son. Her son kept asking her to take him back to church but she didn't think much of it...until we called!

So that started her learning about the church! At the beginning she kept canceling appointments last minute, once actually turning off the lights and pretending not to be home. (We prayed and a miracle happened, someone came and opened the door for us! MIRACLE) Because after that appointment she began to be really interested! 

Her cute son Frame is the absolute best. He has read the Book of Mormon Stories (has pictures for kids) TWICE and is starting his third time through. As we were teaching them, Fone's daughter also started learning and that started our cute little family on their way to baptism!

This last Sunday Fone and Frame were baptized and Sister Fone was so speechless she couldn't talk, "I just feel so good I don't know how to explain it!" And when we visited them later Frame said the closing prayer which went something like this, "and we are grateful that Sister Hammon and Sister Dem came and introduced us so that we can get baptized and follow Thy plan" ...yes this did make me cry but only because I love Frame so darn much.

I remember a few years ago when I went to a mission prep class, the teacher said, "just think, right now God is preparing families for YOU" And that really hit me..so from that day on I started praying for those said families, that I would have the spirit and be guided to find them so they could enjoy the blessings of this glorious gospel. And this last Sunday all those prayers were answered. It isn't a family of 10, but it's a family of 2 (going to be 3), which to even get that in Thailand is a miracle in and of itself! But when I went to bed that night I couldn't help but feel gratitude bursting from my heart that God had allowed me to be a part of their story, even for a few months.

I know that God has a plan for each of us. I know that sometimes we don't understand the timing of things, like why I had to call Fone multiple times before she agreed, but I know that it is all done in God's timing. Families are the center of happiness in this life and in the life to come, and there is nothing I am more grateful for than this plan that our Heavenly Father has given us to return and live with Him again.

So! There is the story of this cute little family...miracles are still happening I promise. My challenge today is for all of you to do what I did a few years ago...start praying for the ability to listen to the spirit and find someone who still needs the blessings of the gospel. It may not come right away, but I promise it will come!

Much much love,
ซิสเตอร์ แฮมมอน

Here they are 😃

So they’re not smiling, but it’s the culture here…they are happy I promise!

How cute is Frame?!

The cute kids we are teaching. The one on the left is getting baptized this week!

A family 😃
8668 Here they are dressed in white!

Also forgot to tell you but we had an incredible zone conference on Monday!!! LOVE the Ubon Zone (smallest but best in the entire mission, I promise)

Only sisters in the zone…go us ;)



Old Songkran pictures from the Elder’s waterproof camera!

Songkran—everyone gets in trucks and has water fights from truck to truck to get the people on the sides wet. The people on the sides get the people in  the trucks wet too!
People in the trucks

SO WET

No comments:

Post a Comment